Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

I wish God's rich blessings on each of you during 2009! Our New Year's evening began with oysters. As he has always done, Mark shucked mine for me. I'm so blessed by him in so many ways. Spoiled, too. The girls made cards for me on the paper napkins at the restaurant. More blessings. We came home and I made an eggnog punch. I served it, followed by some Godiva chocolate covered toffee popcorn (too much sweets, I know) while the girls watched Kit Kittredge, a DVD they received as a Christmas present. Dulcie and I fell asleep during the eleventh hour to the sounds of nearby fireworks. Mark fell asleep earlier (smile). I will have to ask Holland in a few hours if she was awake to ring in the new year. I'm so thankful we were all together though. Thankful for my family. Thankful for my friends.

2009 isn't beginning the way I thought, the way I hoped. Disappointment and sadness are peeking through but they will not shadow my blessings. Once I met 8 people. 6 of them became my best friends. I call that a blessing, wouldn't you? Leaving the old year is bittersweet. It ended on a sour note but 2009 is a new chapter. Steel Magnolias comes to mind...delicate like the Southern Magnolia but strong as steel. That's what I want for my little southern belles. That's what I will be this year. Amy of A Snip of Goodness, chooses a word for her new year. I like that almost more than having a theme. I wonder if I could pick two words,please. Steel Magnolia.

1 comment:

asnipofgoodness said...

I LOVE your words for the year Dee Ann. Life is full of disappointment, but non of it is a surprise to our God. I too am striving to be strong in the face of adversity, and yet, let God's love shine through as a sweet smelling aroma, just like that Magnolia! prayers of love to you my sis in Christ.