Friday, October 24, 2008


Raising Maidens of Virtue

Holland and I began reading Raising Maidens of Virtue penned by Stacy McDonald this week. It is a beautifully written and charmingly illustrated book that has opened the door for discussion between mother and daughter in our home. The first chapter presents an allegory between beautiful flowers in a garden and how we are often faced with the temptation to not be content with the roles God has given to us but instead look to the ways of others with jealousy and seek to leave behind the perfect will of God for something far less. I was surprised to hear Holland answering the questions at the end of the chapter and putting the written words of Mrs. McDonald into her own sweet ones. She understood how the discontentment of the fence dwellers was a metaphor for what many young girls in our world face as they set aside the joy our ‘Gardener’ planned for them to pursue worldly desires. It is my wish that Holland will continue to blossom in her biblical beauty and femininity and I pray that my young maiden will be blessed by this book as we begin reading the next chapter.

2 comments:

joyinthejourney said...

I started reading it awhile back and stopped. I need to pick it up again. I really lke Stacy macDonald. That is so precious that you and Holland are reading it together. Dee Ann, she really has the sweetest happiest spirit. Oh, and did I mention beautiful. I really love her so much!
Donna

momof3girls said...

This sounds like beautiful book. I'd love to read it with my girls. Thanks for mentioning it. Tammy