Friday, April 10, 2009

A Traditional Seder

Last evening our church gathered at the home of our pastor for a ceremonial Seder meal. As we learned about the rich tradition of the Seder, families sat together around a plate of traditional Passover foods which represented historical events...

Matzoh, the bread of haste, full of lines and piercings, just as Our Messiah was pierced for our sins. (Isaiah 53:1) Two were shared among the families while one was hidden for children to search for later.

Horseradish, bitter to remind one of the bitterness of slavery of the Israelites while in Egypt.

Charoses (apples, nuts, wine and cinnamon) which remind one of the mortar made by the slaves as they toiled in constructing buildings for Pharaoh and the Egyptians.

Parsley was used to symbolize hope and redemption, served with a cup of salt water, tears shed.

Four cups of wine (The cup of sanctification, instruction, redemption, and praise) were served throughout the evening

A charred bone representing the sacrificial lamb was shown as we listened to the story of the Passover.

It was a somber time in which I learned so much. I think I would like our family to honor this tradition every year. Afterwards, as always, our church had a lovely time of fellowship with one another. Holland saw a sweet girl she met at a Christmas tea party last year while I was able to visit with her mother and others. Perhaps you would like to make a Seder meal a part of your Easter traditions?

1 comment:

joyinthejourney said...

Hey my precious friend! I was just about to post a picture of our Seder Plate from Thursday night. I think I'll just post the photo and link to your beautiful description. I hope you have a very blessed week.